My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in a few seconds. If not, visit
http://www.bentleygray.net/blog/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Violin Lessons...


So last summer we signed the kids up for violin lessons at the Gadsden Cultural Arts Center. They really took to it even though Sylvie wanted to play the violin and Jackson wanted to play the "fiddle." Thanks to their instructor, Miss Tiffany Holliday, they both really learned a lot. After school started we didn't continue the lessons but decided to sign them back up for this winter. I had the bright idea that they would do better if they practiced more, but it's hard to encourage an 8 and a 5 year old to practice regularly. That's where I come in. I thought that maybe if I were taking lessons as well, then we could all practice together. That's right...I'm taking violin lessons! Our first session with Mr. David Handler was last night and it looks like I have a little catching up to do. Mr. Handler plays with the Alabama Syphony and he made our little cheap violins sound really good. Two things I've learned so far: It's harder than it looks, and I now know why people make those funny faces while playing the violin...it's not very comfortable at all.

Anyway, I have a LOT to learn and I have a new appreciation for anyone who plays music. My brother Stan and my mother are both very talented musicians, but I didn't get any of those genes.

Oh, the difference between a violin and a fiddle? You carry a violin, and you tote a fiddle.

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home